Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Best In Show - Knit your own dog (or cat)


These books are real gems!

I admit that I nagged our acquisitions team to buy these for the library for the strength of the titles alone.   It was hard work because I get the feeling they think we have enough crazy knitting books in the collection already. Once they arrived, I feel totally vindicated.

The books are beautifully produced with multiple photos and a very clean layout.  The dogs and cats are quite varied, with different body shapes for each breed, coat patterns created using intarsia & Fair Isle techniques and texture by yarn selections.  The patterns are clearly presented, the instructions are easy to follow, and the projects are achievable for even the most averagely talented knitter. 

The authors do suggest (mostly) Rowan yarns, which would be lovely, but possibly beyond some budgets, but any knitter worth the name will be able to raid their leftover stash for likely substitutes. (which explains the purple labrador I'm working on now, and the red mohair kitten I have planned for my next project).

The only problem with great knitting books is that they inspire you to knit, which of course, cuts into reading time.


Best in Show: Knit your own Cat
Best in Show: Knit your own Dog
Best in Show: 25 more Dogs to Knit
By Sally Muir & Joanna Osborn

No comments:

Post a Comment